My mother might be shocked to read this blog – nothing bad trust me just me making and sharing a meatloaf recipe someone might have to pick her up off the floor! I am sure everyone has a childhood food trauma – OK trauma might be a little harsh but I am still not a meatloaf fan by any stretch. My poor husband sometimes orders it out since I pretty much never ever make it.
My mother might fall over again when she reads that I not only made a meatloaf but I used ground turkey WHO AM I? When I was a punk teenager my mother tried to pull off ground turkey as ground beef – who did she think she was kidding – my teenage self was not falling for it one bit. My adult self is far more evolved I usually have a package or two in the freezer.
You might be wondering why I would even attempt making this meatloaf; but my Dad should be eating a lot more healthier than he has his entire life so I guess I am going to try to convert him on a few things I know he likes. I feel that if I can make him a couple staples that are lower in sodium and with healthier choice of protein maybe he’ll try a little harder.
I found this recipe from Genius Kitchen and changed it from ground beef to ground turkey. Yes I did try a bite of it, but I also put a chunk out on the table for the fam, immediate and extended, and they all liked it a lot so I think it is a winner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup celery, chopped fine
- ⅓ cup carrot, chopped fine
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons Mrs Dash seasoning mix
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces no salt tomato sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic in the olive oil just till tender, let them cool a bit.
- In a large bowl mix all the meatloaf ingredients together using your hands.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a baking dish.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the meatloaf ingredients.
- Bake for 1 hour.