New England Boiled Dinner
a very easy dish to make and great as leftovers as well
- 1 corned beef
- 5-6 potatoes peeled and chunked
- 1 pound carrots peeled and chunked
- 1 large turnip peeled and diced
- 1 head cabbage stem remove and quartered
- 1 large onion peeled and diced or leave whole
- 2 bay leaf's
- 1 tablespoon pepper corns
In large stock pot place the corned beef in and cover it with water. Add the onion, bay leaf, peppercorns. bring to a boil then lower the heat to a lower boil, partially cover the pot and let it boil for a minimum of 3 hours - I generally leave it going for 5 hours.
you an leave the beef in the pot or remove it to a bowl and set aside. Add all the veggies, minus the cabbage to the pot and boil for about an hour. If you removed the beef add it back in and then add the cabbage and boil for another 15-20 minutes. I boil it just until the cabbage is tender but still has some life to it.
Slice the beef and add the veggies to a platter or large bowl and top with the sliced beef. Serve with some of your favorite mustard.