Happy Mothers Day!
I will be going out to breakfast this morning without my children. My husband and I are away for the weekend for a wedding in Rhode Island. For those of you that are home and plan on making breakfast for your mother, wife, grandmother or just for yourself. These are worth making today, or any day really. They are so easy to put together and crazy fast that you can make them in under an hour – seriously!
I’ve made them a few times and it still surprises me how good they are and how quickly I can make them and with so few ingredients that I always have on hand; I bet you do too. Make a frittata or strata or just scrambled eggs and a fruit plate and you will have a very tasty very satisfying breakfast or brunch fit for a Queen!
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast = 1 packet
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
for the Filling
- 1/2 stick butter softened room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
for the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- pre-heat your oven to 200’ and just before you place the rolls in the oven; turn it off.
- in a large bowl add the flour, sugar, salt and yeast; mix well
- In a microwave safe bowl heat the milk, water and butter till the butter melts 30-40 seconds.
- Once melted stir into the flour mixture and the egg and knead until the the dough is no longer sticky roughly 3-4 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl to rest for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Mix together the cinnamon and brown sugar for the filing
- Roll out the dough after it is done resting; into a 15″x 9″ rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter on top and then sprinkle the sugar cinnamon mixture over the butter.
- Roll the dough on the 15” side tightly and cut into 9 large even pieces.
- Place them in a 9″x 9″ slightly greased pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the; turned off oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the plastic wrap and turn the oven up to 375’F. Bake for 15-20 minutes until they are lightly browned.
- Make the glaze while the rolls are in the oven. Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and use enough milk to make the glaze light enough for you to drizzle over the hot rolls when they come out of the oven.