Crazy is the best way to describe 2020 period! I haven’t stepped foot into the office since Mid March. I used to go out to do errands and shop a few times a week, I barely do that now. We haven’t made any vacation plans; which is the only way I make my husband take time off; he is actually working at the moment on a Sunday. And it goes without saying that Covid and the election is just plain insanity for the whole world.
Lets hope the world will right it self sooner rather than later.
The recipe I am going to share with you was another one my daughter made with some of our favorite things, yes we love beets; I know a lot of people won’t say that; I often wonder why? While I love beets my least favorite way to eat them is pickled. I’m just not a fan even thought I love pickles, I don’t mind pickled radishes, carrots and cabbage just not beets.
The recipe is from one her cookbooks she has many tabs in. From the oven to the table. I like how my daughter picked up golden beets; while we eat more purple beets they tend to share their purple color with whatever you pair them with.
Pork chops baked beets and apples
- mortar and pestle or small grinder
- 4 cloves garlic finely grated
- 4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 thick bone-in pork chops
- kosher salt
- 1 pound cooked beets peeled and quartered
- 2 medium apples halved, cored each cut into 12 wedges
- 2 onions halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- put the garlic into a mortar and pestle with the salt and caraway seeds and pound with the pestle. Add the olive oil, working it in until you have a rough paste. Put the pork chops in a bowl and add the mixture from the mortar, turning the chops over in it. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- preheat oven to 375'F
- In a shallow baking dish big enough for everything to lay flat and add everything for the vegetables to your dish, using your hands toss everything together and then spread out in a single layer. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Heat a fry or grill pan over high heat until very hot. Add the chops and brown on all sides including the fat. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Place the chops on top of the vegetables and pour over the cooking juices from the fry pan. Bake for another 20 minutes till the chops are still tender but cooked through.
- serve and enjoy!add some sour cream with chopped dill on top if desired