What are your plans for the big game later today? Being from New England and a Patriots fan my whole life I could be bitter that Tom Brady left us or I can be on board with rooting for him since he is without a doubt one of the best quarterbacks of all time. Though I recall seeing a young Mahomes play a couple of years ago and be quite impressed. So much so I have it in writing that he is someone to watch. Now look they are playing each other in the super bowl I personally won’t be too disappointed in whoever wins.
The kids and I were sitting around yesterday morning and discussed what we would wanted for game day. We came up with way too many ideas for just a few of us. It will be hard to eliminate any of them but it’s way too much food.
Do you make a ton of snacks or something more substantial? I generally do a little of both. My husband is all about the wings. I am more of a dip kind of gal. My son wanted us to make pretzels; which we have never done but it made the list anyway. I usually make a soup/stew or chili of some sort but we decided not this time around. I mentioned meatball grinders and ended at fried chicken sandwich which is what I am making.
Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese grated
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- a few sprinkles crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- 8 small slider buns or whatever you have on hand
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add oil swirling to coat add the chopped onions, oregano, and garlic; saute 3-4 minutes until softened. Place onion mixture in a large bowl; let it cool slightly. Add the ground chicken, parmesan, ½ cup marinara, salt and peppers to the onion mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands and shape into 8 ½ inch thick patties. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat your broiler along with a grill pan on medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with some cooking spray. Add the patties and cook about 10 minutes or until done, turning once
- Toast your buns if you wish; arrange bottom halves of the buns on a baking sheet. Place 1 patty on each roll. Top with 1 tablespoon marinara and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Broil until the cheese melts. Top with basil and the top halve of the buns.