Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
I know it’s a little early for fresh corn around here; but it’s coming soon enough!
We prepped the gardens but we don’t start planting until this weekend. We have had some crazy frost this year so much so that a few of our trees had their leaves shrivel up and fall off. Not sure what that oak tree behind the house is going to do.
to be honest I want that particular oak to be cut down. Maybe it’s a sign. That’s how I keep presenting it to my husband. I want it down because it leans towards the house. He wants to keep it because we don’t have a lot of oaks near us. You would think with how many trees came down with the 3 feet of heavy wet snow we had a couple of months ago he would be on board with this. I’m not done!
I know most people are thinking BBQ this weekend and this might not sound like an option for the day. Give it a try sometime when you get your hands on some fresh corn. It’s a great side and something a little different.
Fresh Corn Tomato Bacon Salad
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 ears corn on the cob cut from ears
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, remove and set aside. turn heat down to medium-low and add onions to the bacon drippings in the skillet Cook, stirring occasionally until softened - about 5 minutes. add the corn, turn the heat back up to medium and cook, stirring occasionally until the corn is tender and just starting to brown in spots 7-10 minutes. remove corn and onion mixture to a large mixing bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes. meanwhile crumble the bacon.add the bacon, sliced tomatoes, basil and vinegar to the corn and onion bowl. sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Toss everything together and taste. adjust seasoning if needed.
I am looking forward to getting my seeds and plants into the gardens and see what we can get to grow this year!