Last night I was watching the last season of The Great British Baking show and the task was to make 2 different flavor profile quiche. I know this might come as a shock but I have never made quiche before; I know what is my damage. Honestly I haven’t really had any that blew my skirt up; if you get my drift. They have been just just meh so I didn’t feel compelled to even try. Then of course I have always felt that frittatas were so much easier and faster to make.
I only ended up using the shredded cheese in the bowl, the chunk ended up back in the fridge.
I love cooking and baking but I the thought of making a pie crust for breakfast just doesn’t appeal to me. However after watching last night I was determined to make a quiche this morning for breakfast. I didn’t have a frozen pie crust in the freezer so I was going to have to make my own; if you do have one by all means use it. OR you can do as I did this morning and made what I think is the easiest crust ever and the very first one I ever made; it was such a long time ago I can’t even remember. I know I used to make it when I was a kid so this might be a great Mother’s Day breakfast for the kiddo’s to make their Mom next weekend.
I should have rolled out the dough before placing it in the pan. I did not, I pressed it into place, I also should have pressed it up higher into the sides. live and learn!
Ok so I have a dough plan and now the filling. I would call this; my first quiche; a clean out the fridge kind of quiche. I used up the last of the broccoli, ham, shredded cheese and half and half. Then I made my grocery shopping list; see how that works! It definitely had more cheese than anything else. My daughter described it as broccoli cheddar soup if it was turned into a pie. I’ll take it! My husband said it was great but was concerned how the crust would be after cooling down and being re-heated. We kind of laughed because it is still on the counter and we all keep taking another sliver from it, it will not make it to the fridge nor need to be reheated. Update we brought that last two pieces over to my In-Laws.
Ham Broccoli and the Cheesiest Quiche
- Tart pan 9 inch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or use canola oil
- 1/4 cup cold water iced or from the fridge
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup cheese shredded. I used extra sharp cheddar and an Italian mixture.
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chives
Pre-heat oven to 375'F
- in small bowl add the flour, salt, oil and cold water. mix with a fork until combined. Set it aside while you prepare the filling.
- sauté the onion in a little olive oil until soft remove, do the same with the ham and broccoli. You are not cooking them just heating them up. this isn't a necessary step but I won't put raw onions into anything I make, I only like them sautéed.
- Lightly spray your tart pan, add the rolled out crust, pressing up the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle the ham, onions and broccoli all over the crust. then cover it with cheese. In a small bowl beat the eggs and add the half and half plus the milk and the chives. Pour this all over the cheese in the tart pan. Place your tart pan onto a sheet pan and into the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- remove sheet pan and tart from the oven, Place a coffee cup or small bowl under to remove the pan from the tart, using a spatula remove the bottom piece of the tart pan; slice and enjoy!