Happy Independence Day America!!!
Here is NH it is not BBQ weather by any means. We were just sitting out on the porch in our fleece and with blankets on. It is cold, rainy and just plain raw out there. Stark difference from last week when we were in the 90’s. I think it’s like 52′ out there now and supposed to reach a high of 66′. I really am not feeling having a BBQ myself but a nice pan of gooey lasagna doesn’t sound too bad to me. We’ll see how the day goes.
We were invited to 3 BBQ’s that ended up all being cancelled due to the weather. On Friday I attended an interment ceremony for my Uncle; which would have been his 90th birthday. Despite the terrible weather his full military honor ceremony was very emotional to be apart of. The unfolding and re-folding of the flag, the volley shots and the playing of taps always gets me. RIP Captain Bob <3
I had taken out a flank steak the other day and just hadn’t had the time to marinate it yet. So yesterday I made a quick marinade and let it sit for several hours. I really like steak and salad for a light dinner; my choice for this type of dinner the most simple salad I think you can make. Arugula; which is a spicy green so you’ll want to offset that with a dressing that has something sweet in it, I also love to add either mandarin or clementine orange slices to it; along with some nuts and that’s it.
Steak and Salad
- 3/4 cup soy sauce low sodium if you have it
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1/4 packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1½ pound flank steak
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice I squeezed a few mandarin oranges for this
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Add all the ingredients minus the steak into a large plastic zip-loc bag, squish or shake the closed bag until everything is combined.
- Add the steak to the bag, get out as much of the air as you can, re-seal the bag and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours up to 24 hours.
- I like cooking this out on the grill, you can cook it in a cast iron on the stove top. You'll want to cook it on medium-high heat for 5 minutes on the first side, flipping once and then cook for another 3-5 minutes. this is how I cook mine to medium rare.
- Let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes on a tray lightly covered with some tinfoil. You want to slice the steak against the grain into thin angled slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, orange juice, honey, poppy seeds, and mustard. Slowly pour in oil while whisking until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.I usually make mine in a mason jar by adding all the ingredients, sealing and vigorously shaking everything till it is all mixed together.
- While the steak is resting you can assemble the salad. In a large bowl take you washed and dried arugula. toss with some of the dressing. You can add the orange slices, and nuts to the bowl or as I did; I placed a pile of the arugula onto the plates, then topped with several oranges and a handful of marcona almonds.