We had a house full last weekend and what was super odd for me was I didn’t have anything planned. I always have at the very least meals planned and always food on hand. This time around I was clueless. I have been working around 50 hours a week for over a month now and I am completely spent.
Everything came together and we had a wonderful visit but I did not like having some resemblance of a plan. I ended up making a lasagna with tomatoes and onions from my garden and I threw in a large zucchini I hadn’t done anything with yet. I made my usual strata for breakfast and I had a bag of buttermilk biscuits in the freezer and baked the whole package of 20. Needless to say I had a lot of biscuits leftover and very little strata.
I tried to think of what to do with the leftover biscuits. I ended up making a biscuit pudding and it was so good I have to share it with you. I have made banana bread pudding and even zucchini bread pudding but this was a first for me and it was a huge hit. It wasn’t too sweet thought if you wanted to you totally could make it a lot sweeter by adding toffee bits or butterscotch. I only added mini chocolate chips and would do it again.
Biscuit Bread Pudding
- 6 biscuits cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon good vanilla extract
- Place biscuits in a greased 8" baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour this mixture over the biscuits. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and any other chips if you choose, press down the biscuits to make sure they all get into the cream mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes in a 350° F pre-heated oven.
- In a small sauce pan, bring butter 1/2 cup browned sugar, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to a simmer. Whisk for 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened. Let cool slightly before drizzling on bread pudding
- serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream - recommended not necessary. reheat leftovers.