This morning is vastly different from last Sunday around here. Last weekend we hosted my son and daughter-n-laws wedding reception that we had to postponed from last year. The weather was excellent for the majority of the party, the rain came later which we were all grateful for. There were twelve of us staying over and fourteen plus two dogs for breakfast.
At the moment it is me and the dog. I am glad I picked the last of the produce from the garden as this morning was the first frost of the season. I picked a dozen or so green peppers, too many jalapenos and a bunch of cherry tomatoes. My kitchen is clean, the dish washer running, the beds are stripped and in the washer and I have hung out the first load of laundry on the clothes line – ahhhhhh. Don’t get me wrong I loved having everyone here but I also love some peace and quiet.
If you are looking for a quick come together meal this is it. It was fast with very few ingredients and the flavor was banging. You do need to make sure to really brown the sausage in order to get the most flavor for the finished product.
Pasta Sausage and Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 pound Pasta orecchiette or I had some specialty lasagna bites
- 5 links sweet Italian sausage sliced into bite size pieces. casing removed
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper a little more or less according to your tastes
- 4 slices provolone chopped into small pieces
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to the package directions. Drain and reserve a cup of the salted pasta water.
- In a large skillet heat to medium high heat, add a little olive oil and the pieces of sausage and cook till browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet add a little more oil if needed, along with the tomatoes and crushed red pepper. press the tomatoes and cook until they softened about 4 minutes. Add about ¼ cup or more of the white wine and let it reduce for about 2-3 minutes. Add some of the reserved pasta water. Season with salt and cook over moderate heat, scraping up all the browned bits and crushing the tomatoes, until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the pasta to the skillet along with the sausage and cook for another 2-3 minutes stirring until everything is combined. Remove from the heat and add the cheese stir to combined. Transfer to bowls and serve right away.
- side note my husband really liked the leftovers too.