The herb relish in this recipe is divine. My husband wanted to stock pile it. He loved it so much that he felt it could go on anything. I don’t know if he was being silly or actually serious until he went to get a Honey Nut Cheerio and dipped it in it. No surprise; it didn’t work. I am shaking my head as I writing this. Needless to say we had leftover sausage and my daughter had to make 2 more batches of it. Yes my husband is one of those scoops instead of dips if you get my meaning.
I also want to point out that my daughter has introduced many different options as far as starch goes. We are a meat and potato kind of family. Most of my meals consist of a meat, starch and a vegetable. Mostly a potato in some form, or a rice. Now we have Lentils and Farro as options. Farro being the most recent one and a huge hit.
Sausages and Lentils with an Herb relish
Sausage and Lentils
- 1½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 sausage links
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ pound pancetta
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups dry white wine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2⅓ cups lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 cups soft herbs leaves such as parsley, basil, mint, chives or a mix of what you have on hand
- 1½ Tablespoons capers drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 7 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Sausage and Lentils
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté that can go into the oven and has a lid. Brown the sausages all over. they do not need to cook through just brown for now; remove and set aside. Add the onions, celery, carrot and the pancetta to the pan and sauté until the pancetta is browned. In a measuring cup; mix the stock and wine.
- Add the garlic and lentils to the pan along with the bay leaves and toss with the vegetables. Add the 2¼ ups of the stock and wine mixture and bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper and add the sausages back to the pan. Transfer to the oven.
- Cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stir and add the rest of the stock mixture, cover and bake for 25-30 minutes. The lentils should be tender and the liquid mostly absorbed. Taste for seasoning adjust if needed.
- either chop the herbs and capers finely or mix them with the other ingredients in a food processor and whip them together. Taste for seasoning.
recipe adapted from: From the Oven to the Table
One thought on “Sausages & Lentils with Herb Relish”