Well my back deck has over a foot of fresh snow, I am very grateful we did not lose power. I hope those who did get it back real soon. It is a whopping 9 degrees this morning and the winds are blowing, not as bad as last night where they were whipping; the snow drifts are just crazy. Please stay safe and if you can stay in today; which I plan on doing; it’s a great day to make some warm soup, a chili or a stew. I know I plan on spending some quality time in the kitchen today.
I made this soup during my 30 minute lunch break last week and I can’t believe this was the first time making Taco Soup. It was super easy to make and I loved the flavor. I think the best part was using up some ingredients from the freezer and pantry. I really love being able to use what I have on hand. I had put some corn that I cut off the cob several months ago into the freezer which came in handy for this soup.
You can customize this soup with what you have on hand or to your liking. Instead of on the stove you could make this in your slow cooker. brown the turkey and onion and add to the crockery. add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Replace the turkey with ground chicken. You can make it spicier by adding your favorite hot sauce.
Ground Turkey Taco Soup
- 1 package ground turkey
- medium onion diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes or you can use rotel
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 cups corn fresh or canned
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth homemade, or you can use water
- Heat a large stock pot or Dutch oven on medium high, add the olive oil and the ground turkey. add the diced onions and cook until the turkey is browned and the onions are softened around 5-7 minutes. Add the taco seasoning. Cook for another minute or so.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, corn and broth. season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Let it simmer for 20 minutes. To develop deeper flavor simmer for another 20-30 minutes.