Word of the weekend “procrastination” – I made my “usual” list of things I need to get to. Some more important than others. Out of 19 things, don’t worry some are silly but I write them all down so I don’t forget; or is it more so I can cross them off.
Friday night I tell myself to get up and get going early. I never left the house until after 11… Fail. Last night I tell myself to write your blog first thing in the morning…. Fail. I did knock off 9 things on my list but I am currently sitting on the porch writing and it is coming very slowly today. Oh a pretty monarch butterfly just flew by – squirrel.
Focus Donna – I made this a couple of weeks ago and I think you need to consider making it. With the proper ingredients you would have a much easier time of it then I did. With that being said it was fairly easy and so delicious. I mean how could it not be; Pork Belly wrapped Pork Loin with loads of garlic, citrus and herbs. My mouth is watering as I write this.
I used what I had on hand which was strips of pork belly and a half used red onion. I will share with you the recipe I used and I would adjust with what you have on hand. I bet you have only things you like on hand so why not run with it.
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion or shallot minced
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2-3 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons Kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 pound pork loin
- 4-5 pound pork belly
oven - cooking instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 500°F
- in a small mixing bowl, stir together the herb mixture and set aside.
- pierce the fatty side of the pork belly all over with a knife. Turn it over and lightly cross hatch the inside of the pork belly, Then, evenly spread the herb mixture on the inside.
- season the pork loin with ½ tablespoon of kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Wrap the pork belly, herb mixture in, and secure with bands or kitchen twine.
- season the outside of the Porchetta with salt and pepper. Place porchetta in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the loin is 160°F
- Remove the roast from the oven once the skin is crispy and golden brown. Allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes. Remove bands or twine before slicing.
- If needed, increase oven to 500°F and roast until the skin is crispy