Last week I needed a very small amount of quinoa for my watermelon salad. But me being me saw that there was a little less than half a bag plus a new unopened bag. In my infinite wisdom; why not make the half bag and figure out something to make with the leftovers. I do this kind of thinking a lot. Happy to report that it generally serves me well. I don’t know if it was my upbringing or the NH Yankee in me that hates wasting food. If there is something in the fridge that’s been there a few days or so I will try to come up with something to make with it so I don’t have to toss it.
I ended up with around 2+ cups of leftover quinoa and I was trying to come up with something, I thought salad? side dish? veggie burger even crossed my mind though I have never made nor had one before. Not even sure I would like it. Who knows maybe someday…
I landed on a stir fry of sorts. I am calling it that because my daughter said it was more like a fried rice, my husband felt it could be a hash. I don’t really care what you call it, it was SO good that I am going to make it again very soon. I had it for dinner that first night and then I was lucky enough to have it for lunch twice during the week. My husband took one of the leftovers; it made four; and he fried an egg and put it on top. He said he was right it made an excellent hash. If you decide to make this, and you should enjoy it however you choose.
Quinoa stir fried rice
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 links sweet Italian sausage
- olive oil for the pan
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 small summer squash diced
- handful snap peas
- 1 small can corn drained
- ½ cup green onions diced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hoisin optional
- In a small dish or bowl whisk all the sauce ingredients (minus the sesame oil) together and set aside. Prep all of the veggies you are using and set aside
- in a small bowl add the eggs and beat, set aside. In a large skillet add the butter over medium low heat. Once melted add the beaten eggs. We are looking for cooked egg, not necessarily browned. You are going to fold them over and over until they are cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- remove the casing on the sausage and brown and crumble all of the sausage into the skillet once cooked add the onion and carrot cooking for 2-3 minutes, Add the garlic and ginger cook for another minute. Add the rest of the veggies minus the green onions and cooked for a couple of minutes. Add the already cooked quinoa and the sauce stir till everything is blended together.
- Add in the reserved egg and green onions, drizzle the sesame oil over everything stir and serve.
3 thoughts on “Quinoa stir fried rice”