I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to get my laptop to get motivated so I can figure out what I am going to share for a recipe today. I knew I had made something a couple of weeks ago and it was really good but I wanted OK needed the picture to remind me. Insert eye roll here!
When I was finally able to enlarge the pictures enough so I could see them, It all came flooding back. This getting older shit is for the birds. I think my laptop and I need a major overhaul geesh!
Anyway I made this soup as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago and it was so good, very hearty but but full of vegetables. I adapted this recipe to what I had on hand and needed to use up from the fridge. I found the recipe in allrecipes magazine but I definitely made it my own as their version was vegan and I used chicken broth since that is an absolute staple in my home. I don’t think I have ever bought vegetable stock? I know I have never made it, I am just too obsessed with homemade chicken stock but who knows maybe someday I will venture out a bit.
Moroccan Lentil Soup with Veggies
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 4 large carrots peeled, chopped
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 10 ounce spinach fresh or frozen
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger I used what I had in the fridge
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 ounces dried lentils
- 2 quarts chicken stock or vegetable stock
- fresh parsley chop and add on top if you have it, I did not
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the carrots, onions, yellow pepper, black pepper, cumin, ginger, and the salt until the onions are translucent. around 5-7 minutes. during the last few minutes add the garlic.
- Add the lentils and the tomatoes to the pot and pour the stock over the vegetables. Bring to a boil, stirring. Lower heat to low and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender. mine took around 20-30 minutes. read your lentil package. I felt mine cooked pretty fast.
- Stir in the spinach and zucchini and cook just till the zucchini is tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drizzle with a little olive oil and if you have fresh parsley on hand chop some up and add it on top.
3 thoughts on “Moroccan Lentil Soup with Veggies”
what a hearthy and warming soup 😋
Yes it truly was, thank you so much for stopping by and giving me a shout out!