just to be upfront it is not my award winning turkey chili recipe and I am not sure what award it won but I made it this past week, OK yes I changed it a bit but we all loved it. My son said it could use some more salt but I was basically making it for my in-laws and my father-in-law needs less sodium in his life, we probably all could, With that being said I loaded this up with other seasonings and No one else said anything else about it except it was really good and they liked it a lot. So that’s a win in my book.
I did change it a little, meaning when I use ground turkey I like to add the darker spices especially when I am browning it. To me it makes all the difference in the world. It could be psychological or maybe some science to it, I am not entirely sure but it starts to look like ground beef and even taste like it. I am not going to fight it; I just embrace it and move on.
We have had some pretty crazy weather around here, some 20’s in the morning and close to 80 last weekend. Not complaining just shaking my head. Looks like every day next week looks a little more like November than what we have had. Now that I mention this hear; watch it’ll snow soon…
Chili is one of those great things to either make on the stovetop or in your slow cooker. It makes a lot and it freezes great. So Add somethings to you grocery shopping list and make this for the week. We had it as is, then my husband makes the best chili omelets. They are crazy good!
award winning turkey chili
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 28 ounce tomato sauce canned
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes canned
- 2 cans green chilis
- 2 cans red kidney beans drained, rinsed
- 2 cans black beans drained, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Add the ground turkey, and onion to a medium size skillet. Cook over medium heat until the onion is soft and the turkey is completely cooked. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds
- Remove from heat and add to the crockpot. Add all other ingredients. Stir to combine and cook on low all day or on high for 4 hours
Recipe adapted from: house of yumm