Here’s hoping you were able to enjoy your Thanksgiving Day meal whatever it may have been. If you are traveling today please be safe out there.
I am re-sharing this turkey soup recipe back from 2019 because I don’t make turkey soup very often, I think was the last time I actually made it until this past weekend. Here’s why! After preparing Thanksgiving Day dinner and then eating I chill in the dining room with whoever is chilling with me. My husband usually gets up at some point and starts putting all the leftovers away and takes the turkey carcass and starts to make stock.
turkey broth frozen into 1 cup portions
We are not always on the same page when it comes to what to do with the leftovers and or the turkey or chicken carcass. He always makes stock in the slow cooker, which I showed him how to do however I wanted to make turkey soup this year. But I missed the opportunity while I was enjoying my glass of wine chilling in the dining room. When I came out the slow cooker was on, all leftovers made into individual meals. So whatever I was thinking didn’t matter.
The slow cooker runs on low overnight and makes the best stock anyone could ask for. When I was taking care of it the next morning I had an idea! I emptied the stock into a separate container and added everything left into a stock pot, covered it with water and hoped for the best. I was not disappointed. I got my turkey rice soup. I didn’t take pictures not being sure that I would get enough flavor but it worked out perfectly, well almost perfectly I did have to go buy a boneless skinless turkey breast and fry it up in a pan to add to my broth but I am OK with that. As you can tell from these pictures I did the same here.
Turkey Rice Soup
- 8 cups turkey broth or stock
- turkey leftover, cutlets or breast
- ¼ cup jasmati rice
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 carrot diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- olive oil
- If you have leftover turkey, you can chop or shred what you have on hand and set it aside. If you do not you can saute' turkey cutlets or as I did a boneless skinless turkey breast and set aside.
- In a large stock pot , if you sauted turkey use the pot. You'll want to add some olive oil add the onions, celery and carrots. Cook for a 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and rice bring to a boil, simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Using the same pot, so you can build flavors. season both sides of the cutlets and brown in a little bit of olive oil. remove once browned on both sides and set aside.