I struggle for healthy satisfying weekday breakfast ideas. I go through phases of cereal, english muffins, oatmeal, a smoothie or I will make a frittata and eat a piece every morning for the week. I try to think about eating something healthy but when it comes right down to it I really am going to grab whatever is simple. Which is kind of sad since I work from home and could actually come up with a few different things throughout the week. I mean I am not running out of the house and traveling to the office. I think I just need to come up with a game plan and prep a little on Sunday so my “simple” is better for me and really satisfying.
I like the idea of these shirred egg cups. I made them several years ago and we all loved them. I could totally cook up some sausage and onions and chop up some veggies and then add them to a ramekan and in the morning break an egg on top and toss them in the oven for a few minutes. Sounds easy peasy to me and delicious. I will have to try harder to make a plan and stick to it. While I do love me a bowl of cereal, it really isn’t as tasty or satisfying as these would be.
If you wanted to have a few different items on hand for your family to make up their own shirred egg cups. You could use ham, bacon or leave out the meat and use all veggies. I think these are super versatile and cater to everyones taste buds. Just let your imagination run wild.
definition of a Shirred egg is egg’s that have been baked in a gratin dish with a flat bottom. Traditionally they have been cooked in a dish called a shirrer, from which the dish gets its name, but the name now applies regardless of the type of dish in which they are baked
Shirred egg cups
- 4 eggs 1 per person
- 1 link sausage casing removed, crumbled and browned
- ½ onion diced
- tomatoes diced
- asparagus sliced
- cheddar cheese shredded
- Parmesan Reggiano grated
- scallions diced
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Use what you have on hand, this is how I made mine. In a small saute pan; brown the sausage along with the onion. Add the tomatoes and asparagus for 1-2 minutes and set aside
- When you are ready to bake them pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Spray you individual baking dishes with cooking spray. Fill each dish with some of the sausage mixture, cover with the shredded cheddar cheese. Crack an egg into each dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and scallions. Add some salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the whites are set. Enjoy right away, keep in mind the dish is hot so serve on a plate.