Kind of an exciting week this past week. My first grandchild arrived 3 weeks earlier than expected. Everyone is doing well; she is a healthy beautiful little girl and I am so excited for the new parents and all the adventures they will have. It is super sweet to see my son who is a pretty big guy holding his tiny little daughter, melts my heart how protective he already is with her.
I wanted to make something for when they all arrived home from the hospital. I wanted to make it something warm and comforting plus easy to reheat. Soup is where my mind goes to immediately. I can’t think of anything more comforting, well I can but I wanted to make it a meal in itself that wasn’t too spicy, too acidic, something a little on the mellow side of the food equation.
Todays soup is what I came up with for what ingredients I had on hand. I tend to do that, I really try to use up ingredients that are in my fridge. I had a quarter piece of green cabbage and also a half head of napa cabbage in the veggie drawer. I always have sausage on hand either in the fridge or freezer. It’s also on my grocery shopping list today just to replace what I used. I have homemade chicken stock in the freezer at all times. The soup comes together really easy and is quite tasty, I think even if you don’t particularly like cabbage, I think you will in this, the dominant flavor is from the homemade chicken stock and then the sweet Italian sausage. So give it a try.
Cabbage and Sausage soup
- 1 stock pot or Dutch oven
- 1 food processor optional
- olive oil
- 1 head cabbage sliced thin or through a food processor
- 3 links sweet Italian sausage casing removed
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 4 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomato
- 6 cups chicken stock
- crushed red pepper
- in a large Dutch oven or stock pot, swirl a little olive oil. Once the pot is heated up add the casing removed or bulk sausage, crumble and cook mostly through about 8-10 minutes. Add the diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Raise heat to medium-high and add in cabbage along with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Toss to combine and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until cabbage begins to wilt and release some moisture.
- Add the diced tomatoes, carrots and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, remove from heat and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes to add a little bit of heat and Enjoy!