Pretty hot this weekend – so far hottest this summer. Not only the heat but the humidity damn its gross out there! My phone is telling me that it is 91’F out and it also says it feels like 98’F. That means it is gross out there and hopefully you can stay inside with the air conditioner on or you are somewhere near a lake, pool or ocean. I am fairly certain that even I would go into the Atlantic ocean; which I very rarely ever do, it’s way too cold; if I was crazy enough to head to Hampton Beach today.
Cooking on hot days is not really enjoyable and neither is eating on hot days so that generally means something light and easy. Friday night my husband made us salads and then we went out for ice cream. They counterbalance each other right?
Best if you can make this first before you start whatever you are serving it with so it has time to meld and let the veggies soak up the dressing.
Summer Garden Salad
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 small clove of garlic minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup sliced cherry grape or like tomatoes
- ½ medium cucumber halved, seeded and sliced thin
- ½ medium yellow summer squash quartered and sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ medium sweet onion sliced thin
- Kernels from 1 ear of corn
- 1 Tbs coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Whisk the first 5 ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the next diced/sliced 5 ingredients; stir well to combine.
- Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Stirring occasionally before serving.
- Garnish with basil.