I hope the name does not stop you from wanting to make this delicious salad. My daughter made it last year for a work potluck and it was a huge hit so she wanted to share it with the family this Thanksgiving and we are all very happy she did. Even my husband who is not a big fan of the mini green cabbages.
Some people like my husband can be funny about certain vegetables and brussl spouts are definitly on the list of questionable veggied. However this salad has so much going on that even if you are on the fence about brussel sprouts you will truly enjoy this salad; my husband certaintly did. I also think it will be perfect for your Christmas table being the colors of green with red pomegranites dotted throughlout; it looks super festive and you should check it out; I don’t think you will be disappointed.
there are many ways to make this salad so you can substitute to your liking such as the apple, the nuts; you can add regular nuts; I would toast them for more depth of flavor. You can use kale instead of brussel sprouts, cabbage would be great.
I am sure I am not alone in disliking buying an ingredient for one recipe and then it sits on the shelf. I cleaned out my pantry and came across a tub of spices and one was dated back to 2007 – oops must have forgot about that one; into the trash it went. You might not be able to find sumac at your local grocery store, we had to order it online but please be assured It can be used to flavor meats, fish, salads and even hummus. It is a tangy lemony spice often used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking. I think you will really like it.
Brussels sprouts apple and pomegranate salad
- 1/2 large red onion diced
- 2 tablespoon s red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, shredded subs. kale
- 1 large pomegranate seeded
- 1 large Granny smith apple peeled, cored, chopped - subs. honey crisp, pink lady
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup candied pecans chopped - subs toasted walnuts, plain pecans
Dressing - make ahead and set aside about 15 minutes
- Combine red onion, wine vinegar, sumac and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a small dish
- combine the remaining ingredients and toss well. season with salt and pepper as needed
- This salad can be prepped ahead, but keep the dressing off of it until at most an hour before serving so it doesn’t discolor the sprouts.
One thought on “Brussels sprouts apple and pomegranate salad”