Today (Saturday) was spent baking this lovely zucchini lemon cake and several loaves of zucchini bread for the freezer. Even though it is early in the overlooked crazy large zucchini’s; I had two that I needed to take care of. Luckily we have had several “normal” size ones to enjoy at dinner time.
I am a huge lemon lover, and mix some fresh lemon with some confectioners sugar and there is nothing better to drizzle over; well just about anything. And yes I licked the spoon before putting it into the sink.
We have had a lot of trouble in the garden between the deer and the bunnies we won’t have our usual abundance of veggies. Which makes me super sad; gardening is a lot of hard work and money. I love setting up a table at the end of the driveway to share with passerby’s. Sometimes they even leave a little something in the mail box; which is very sweet.
We have a plan for next years garden, it will be moving out to the field where there is more sun and will be easier for us to fence it in. Not sure what the deer and bunnies will do; sorry guys not my problem. They are going to have to find another free place to eat. Clark Towers Farm is closing for them. Well not really, they love eat my flowers too. I just can’t win; yes we have sprayed stinky stuff, I hung even more stinky stuff. We let the dog out and have him run around the gardens. Nothing is working.
Zucchini Lemon Cake
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs room temp
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1⅓ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups shredded and drained zucchini
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pre-heat oven to 350°F. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray, Line with parchment paper for easy removal of the cake.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and olive oil. Whisk to combine. Add eggs and milk and whisk together. Add lemon juice and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Add flour mixture and stir just until incorporated. Fold in zucchini and lemon zest.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. The top of the cake should look dry.
- Place the loaf on a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes. Use the parchment paper to carefully life the cake from the pan. Let cool completely on rack.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Slice and serve.