Current situation is sitting on the porch even though my hair is getting curlier as I sit here in the very thick humid air. I do have the ceiling fan on and there is a breeze but it’s super quiet and very peaceful out here among the noise of the birds, squirrels, hummingbirds and the wind chime. I hope you have a place that brings a little calm into your crazy world.
The gardens are doing OK we are currently having bunny issues and they are eating not all or whole veggies ya know just taking nibbles out of many; which is kinda pissing me off. Take one and eat the whole damn thing leave the rest for us and my passerby’s that stop at the end of the driveway and grab what they want or need. I don’t feel right putting out veggies with bunny nibbles on them so that means I have to use them in someway or another. Yesterday I made salsa from the tomatoes, garlic and jalapeno’s. No green peppers for us this year, bought several plants and none of them took. I also made this recipe I want to share. today (Sunday) I will be pickling my cucumbers.
I made a delicious Texas sheet cake and I have shared the recipe at least once but probably more than that. This one made with zucchini is SO moist I thought it wasn’t cooked all the way through but it was. I guess if you ever felt the need to sneak some veggies into your families lives let’s surround it with chocolate.
Texas Sheet Cake with Zucchini
- ½ sheet pan
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups grated, drained shredded zucchini
- ½ cup butter
- 6 tablespoon buttermilk
- 4 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3¾ cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Prepare a jelly roll pan by spraying a half sheet pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Blend together sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. Flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa, and cinnamon and baking powder.
- By hand or using a mixer add flour mixture to the sugar and egg mixture. Then slowly add milk and zucchini until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- In a microwave safe medium sized mixing bowl add the butter, cover, and heat for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Remove from microwave. Stir in vanilla and buttermilk, place back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, stir, then heat for another 30 seconds, stir, heat for 30 seconds and stir and then heat for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir in cocoa and powder sugar, until well combined. Place back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, stir. Heat for another 30 seconds and stir, repeat 1 more time if needed until frosting is smooth and there are no clumps. Pour over brownies, and spread evenly
- Let frosting cool and harden. slice and serve.
I did not cook my frosting long enough to allow it to harden. So don’t skip any cooking steps in the making of the frosting. Still delicious just a little messy to eat.