I haven’t really been thinking about the holidays just yet. I literally looked at an actual calendar earlier today to see how many more days I have to get my stuff together. Guess I need to giddy up a bit. So on my grocery shopping list today is quite a few items I will need for my Thanksgiving dinner. I find it a little less stressful being a bit more organized. And there are many things you can buy now that will easily last until you use it on the big day. I pulled out my favorite stuffing recipe and added chestnuts to my shopping list. It’s also a little less stressful on my wallet if I can spread items out a bit.
I also try to think of things I need to have on hand for before and after the actual dinner. This chicken chili is a great way to have something quick to eat without a lot of fuss. You never know when people are going to stop but, at least that is my experience. But you can drop all the ingredients in your slow cooker in the morning and have dinner ready when you get home OR put it in your fridge or even freezer for another night.
This is also a great meal to share with a neighbor or elderly relative. Maybe think about doubling the recipe and share. I am sure anyone would be so grateful for your generosity.
Chicken Chili slow-cooker
- 1 slow cooker
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans beans great northern, navy pea, black beans. chose what you like
- 1 can hominy if you can find it. or add another bean
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can green chili's
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can cream of chicken
- chicken broth
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker, saute onions and garlic till they are soft. Top with beans
- In a medium bowl combine taco seasoning, chilis, Rotel, soup and broth. Pour over beans
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours Before serving shred chicken to your liking. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream and chives or green onions.