It definitely feels like a soup kinda day! I need to do some outside work before the snow flies. I haven’t planted my garlic yet and I still need to pull most of the plants. It really needs to happen but we’ll see. The outdoor furniture is also still out on the porch and patio. It really didn’t get a lot of use this past summer, it seems to have rained more than the sun was ever out or it was so hot and sticky its was just plain not enjoyable out there.
Making soup for some does not come naturally. A few basic ingredients would get you to a great start. A little butter, some diced or grated onions throw in some diced carrots or celery and maybe even a little minced garlic. Saute a bit and if you want a creamy soup add some flour to make a roux. Some chicken stock and water and you are on your way.
If you try to make this soup I don’t think you will be disappointed. The flavor is on the chicken side because of using the chicken stock. The ham add a little saltiness. the Asparagus add a little earthiness. Always feel free to change things up a bit when making soups. Add some additional flavorings. Some fresh thyme would be great with this. Make it a little more creamy by using half and half instead of milk. Make it a little lighter but adding more chicken broth than milk.
creamy ham & asparagus soup
- 1½ cups fresh asparagus diced in 1 inch pieces
- 2-3 carrots julienned
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced or grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons flour equal amount to butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup ham fully cooked, diced into bite sized pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese optional
- Trim asparagus and place in a saucepan, cover with water and cook till just crisp-tender. Drain and set aside
- In a heavy saucepan, sauté carrots in butter for 3-5 minutes; add onions and garlic and sauté a couple of minutes longer or until tender.
- Stir in flour; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes, add broth, ham and reserved asparagus.
- Reduce heat and simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese.