My garden is doing just OK. I did have a lot of cucumbers so I made 17 jars of pickles yesterday. I have gotten a few zucchini and summer squash so I wanted to make something for dinner the other night using up a couple of them. This recipe is a keeper and you need to check it out.
Very easy to make, a one pan dish on top of the stove so you can make it any night of the week. Plus there was so much flavor that even the leftovers were excellent the next day. I served it over some orzo that I had a quarter of a box left but that was plenty for dinner for the three of us. No orzo for leftovers but I didn’t mind.
I made mine with boneless skinless chicken thighs but you can use chicken breast if you want. Just make sure to not overcook them. I use mostly thighs to help with keeping the chicken moist. They are a little more forgiving as I like to really brown the chicken to get the most flavor out of them and deglazing the pan always packs a punch. Also when using lemons you should really think about adding the zest, even if the recipe doesn’t call for it. It really add to the flavoring.
Lemon Parmesan Chicken with Squash
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 2 breasts) cut into bite size chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 teaspoons Italian Seasoning divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or salt
- ½ cup White Wine
- 1 lemon zested first and then juiced
- 1-2 sm/med zucchini cut into bite sized chunks
- 1-2 sm/med summer squash cut into bite sized chunks
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped (optional)
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Season cut up chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper plus 2 teaspoons of the Italian seasoning, onion powder and lemon zest to coat all sides. Add Chicken pieces to heated up pan, browning on all sides. roughly 3-5 minutes. adjust time for chicken breast. Once cooked through set aside on a plate.
- Deglaze pan with about ½ Cup of white wine until almost gone. Add the other olive oil and butter to the hot pan. Season both of the bite sized squash with the salt and pepper and the remaining seasoning. Add the garlic, stirring for 30 seconds and then add all the squash. Cook tossing occasionally until tender, about 4 minutes or so.
- Return the chicken to the pan and pour in the lemon juice and toss, then add the parmesan cheese and parsley if using it. Serve immediately.
- You can serve this over rice or pasta if you desire. I served mine over orzo.