There is nothing like a cast iron skillet. I know I have mentioned this before but you should get one if you don’t have one. Use it if you have one and it just sits at the bottom of the pile. There are so many things you can make with it. I use mine for burgers, steaks, last night I used it for pork chops. It goes from the stove top to the oven with ease plus it is naturally nonstick.
I also use it for frittatas and this skillet breakfast meal is fantastic. No I am not getting paid to promote cast irons, though I should get a little kick back. But I know once you give it a try you will try to find ways to use yours too.
This morning is a little breezy and has a chill in the air after a rainy Saturday. A breakfast skillet would be a great way to start your day. Use this as a starting point, no need to go buy everything I have here, use what you have on hand. Come up with your own breakfast skillet.
Breakfast skillet spinach bacon and cheese
- 1 cast iron pan
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and small diced
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 slices bacon cooked
- 3 cups baby spinach
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water for steaming eggs
- Peel and wash potatoes, slice in approx. 1/2” cubes. Cook bacon in skillet till crispy remove and set aside. Add potato to bacon grease cook till browned and tender, add diced onion. Cook until onions are slightly browned. Add spinach, stir till combined and barely wilted.
- Make a couple of wells and crack an egg in each. Reduce heat to medium low and cook until the eggs are partially set, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, add water and cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the egg whites are completely set. Chop the bacon and sprinkle on top, garnish with generous grinding of pepper.